Voice of the Faithful's 2021 Conference Re–Membering the Church: Moving Forward will look closely at the body of the Church to see how structure, power, participation, and accountability can be brought together within the Church to fulfill its mission of bringing Christ to the world.
The online Zoom conference takes place Oct. 22-23, 2021. At 7 p.m. (EDT), Oct. 22, conference registrants can gather for free Zoom listening sessions to talk about issues affecting the church today. The full-day conference on Oct. 23 will begin at 8:30 a.m. (EDT), as registrants gather in a Zoom waiting room for the 9 a.m. start. The cost will be $50. Undergraduate students will be admitted free when using the link below or filling out the mail-in registration form.
VOTF supports a vision in the Church of openness and respect between hierarchy and the laity, more inclusivity within the church, and collaborations that lead to more activities and initiatives within the church that reflect lay voices. As outlined at a previous VOTF conference, “There is no body without its members. There are no members without participation. There is no participation without mutual recognition and accountability. Structural change is possible. Accountability is necessary. Re-membering the church is essential.”
Two featured speakers at the conference will offer their views on re–membering the Church. Speaking first on the morning of Oct. 23 will be Sister Carol Zinn, S.S.J. Ph.D. She is Leadership Conference of Women Religious executive director and serves as Saint John Vianney Center consultant for women religious community health and transition. Formerly, she served as United Nations Economic and Social Council consultant. Following Sr. Carol’s Q&A period, Prof. Massimo Faggioli, Ph.D., will address the conference. Prof. Faggioli spoke at VOTF’s 2018 Conference, and his return is highly anticipated. He is a professor of theology and religious studies at Villanova University, a prolific author, and a leading international authority on Catholic Church history and ecclesiology, the inner workings of the Church.
Also during VOTF’s 2021 Conference, a panel comprising women liturgy leaders from the Paulist Center Boston faith community will discuss lay-led liturgies, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic, and VOTF leaders will offer presentations on VOTF projects in diocesan financial transparency, Church governance by and through lay involvement in Diocesan Financial Councils, adherence to protection of children guidelines in parishes and dioceses, and women’s emerging voices in the Catholic Church.
Voice of the Faithful 2021 Conference
Information & Resources
- VOTF 2021 Conference Agenda
- VOTF 2021 Conference Zoom Basics
- Sister Carol Zinn, S.S.J., Ph.D. Biography
- Prof. Massimo Faggioli, Ph.D., Biography
- VOTF Financial Accountability Webpage (includes links to annual diocesan financial transparency reviews and other Church financial resources)
- VOTF 2021 Diocesan Online Financial Transparency Review Scores Listed Alphbetically (Will be available just before the 2021 Conference)
- VOTF 2021 Diocesan Online Financial Transparency Review Questionnaire
- VOTF Financial Accountability -- U.S. Dioceses Web Portal
- VOTF's How to Read a Diocesan Financial Statement
- VOTF 2021 Goverance Review Worsheet
- VOTF Child Protection Webpage (includes information and links to resources ranging from 10 Points for Protecting Children to What to Do If a Child Discloses Abuse.)
- VOTF 2021 Diocesan Online Protection of Children Guidelines Review Questionnaire
- VOTF 2021 Diocesan Online Protection of Children Guidelines Review References & Resources
- VOTF Women's Emerging Voices Webpage (On this webpage you will find information and links to resources supporting VOTF's commitment to women's voices at all levels of decision making within the church and encouraging conversation about all ministries and opportunities for women.)
- Association of U.S. Catholic Priests' Declaration on the Status of Women in the Church
- Listening to the Faithful: Preparing for the Synod 2021-2023 (This webpage contains links to all of the Vatican's preparatory documents for Syod 2021-2023. Use the webpage to get ready for VOTF's 2021 Conference Listening Sessions on Friday, Oct. 22)
- Voice of the Faithful Programs, Projects & Initiatives