2023 Synod Resources & Information
The General Secretariat for the Synod of Bishops presents the base text and ‘vademecum’ – or handbook – to guide the journey of the Synod on Synodality. Listening without prejudice; speaking out with courage and parrhesia; dialoguing with the Church, with society, and with the other Christian confessions. (Vatican News)
“The General Secretariat for the Synod has published the Preparatory Document, along with a Vademecum (or handbook) to indicate the guiding principles that will direct the path of the Synod on Synodality. The solemn opening of the Synod took place in Rome on October 9-10, and in the particular Churches on October 17; and will conclude in the Vatican in 2023 with the assembly of bishops from around the world.
“The Preparatory Document [released in September 2021] is intended above all to be an instrument facilitating the first phase of listening and consultation of the People of God in the particular Churches, which will take place from October 2021 to April 2022.* [*On October 29, 2021, the Vatican extended the deadline for the Diocesan phase until August 15, 2022.]
“‘In other words,’ as the document says, ‘it constitutes a sort of construction site or pilot experience that makes it possible to immediately begin reaping the fruits of the dynamic that progressive synodal conversion introduces into the Christian community.'” -- By Vatican News — Read more …
In addition to the resources available from the Vatican, additional English-language guides are available along with numerous documents that can help prepare you for participation. We have gathered some of those below and will add to them as new ones become available.
2023 Synod Resources
- Video backgrounder on the 2023 Synod presented by VOTF Executive Director Donna Doucette during a Zoom meeting of VOTF's Charlotte, N.C., affiilate
- KEY DOCUMENTS: Vatican's Preparatory Document for the 2023 Synod and the Vademecum for the Synod on Synodality, which is the official handbook for listening and discernment in local churches during the first phase of the 2023 Synod from October 2021 through April 2022 in dioceses and bishops' conferences leading up to the Assembly of Bishops in Synod in October 2023
- Timeline graphic showing the stages leading up to the October 2023 Synod bishops' meeting
- Comprehensive guide to conducing mini-synods to gather information and listen to views in advance of preparing input into the 2023 Synod process
- Slide presentation on synodality and the 2021-2023 Synod process prepared by the Gereral Secratariat of the Synod of Bishops
- Definitions of papal documents, placing the Synod and its process among the most important documents a pope issues
- The Synodus Episcoporum: For a synodal Church communion, participation and mission -- XVI Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops
- Voice of the Faithful's inclusive document "Information Resources on Synods, Synodality and the 2023 Synod"
- Leadership Roundtable's For a Synodal Church: Communion, Participation, and Mission -- Process for Facilitating Synodal Consultations
- Links to all of the Vatican II documents (also see "How do we prepare for a synodal process? Start with the documents of Vatican II," by Michael Sean Winters, National Catholic Reporter)
- "The Church on the way: Prayer for a synodal Church" from the Vatican
- Sign up for The Synodal Journey Newsletter by the General Secretariat for the Synod of Bishops
2023 Synod Media Coverage
- With new synodal process, Francis creates an insurance policy for reforms, by Massimo Faggioli, La Croix International, on NCRonline.org
- Speak Boldly, Listen Carefully: Inside the Synod, by Austen Invereigh, Commmonweal magazine
- Editorial: A Ministry of Listening: On the Opening of the Synod, by Michael Centore, Editor, Today’s American Catholic